German Language Assistant Internship Program
Available Semester 1 or Semester 2, 2013
Suitably qualified students may apply to undertake a language assistant internship in the area of German Studies as part of their study abroad program.
This internship program is for one semester, working in the German Department at the University of Adelaide. The successful intern will assist the lecturers and tutors in German Culture and German Language subjects. The language subjects range from beginner to advanced.
A total of two students per semester can normally be admitted to the internship program. Students must make a formal application to the internship program and must apply for the Study Abroad program separately.
- The student will attend a minimum of 3 hours of classes per week (language classes, tutorials and/or lectures) during the course of the semester
- The student will document his/her attendance and participation in the form of a diary
- The student will normally spend the first three weeks observing classes
- After the first three weeks, the student will normally prepare and give a minimum of 1 presentation per week. The length of the presentation will increase as the student gains experience
- Each presentation will be discussed in advance with the supervisory staff member and a written version of the presentation will normally be provided before the date of the presentation so that any necessary changes may be made
- The student may present one lecture during the semester
- At the end of the semester the student will complete and submit a written report to the German Studies staff
- Students will receive a certificate of completion
- Students should be native-speakers of the German language
- Students must apply for and enrol in the Study Abroad program
- Students will enrol in a 3-unit course which forms part of the normal course load for study abroad students
- In general students selected for the internship will enrol in the internship course (worth 3 units) plus 3 additional courses (each course is usually worth 3 units) if the 12 unit Study Abroad program is selected or 2 additional courses if the 9 unit Study Abroad program is selected.
How to Apply
Complete the following and return to the International Office:
- A Study Abroad Application Form
- A German Language Assistant Internship Application Form
- A resume
- A video submission answering the interview questions
- Upload the video to YouTube and provide the link in the Internship Application Form
- Two academic references using the Reference Form